Sunday, November 23, 2014

Interview with Kathmandu, Nepal Based Brutal Death Metal band Calamitian



Before we talk much about  Calamitian, do check there recent release..
Without any delay here is a short talk that we had with the band.

Greetings guys, before we begin we would like to know what are we doing nowadays?
Thank you, we are currently working on our new originals. We are also planning for a demo and we'll start working on that too very soon.

Before we proceed we would like to know how was the tour with Narsamhaar?
The tour was really fucking awesome. It was a hell of an experience for us, playing in cities like dharan and hetauda where we had never played before was really a great experience, hetauda was really sick we must say. We would really like to thank Narsamhaar, Jivan da, Hem da, for giving us this awesome opportunity and for always supporting us. Overall tour has been a great memory for all of us.


Coming to the band’s journey from 2011 end until now how has the journey been?
The band has faced many ups and downs of all these years. We had been in break too for months when our line up got messed. Currently our guitarist Sumit is the only original member in the band with Rajat on drums and Rojan on vocals. Surose Karki has been managing us since this line up came. And here we are continuing this shit and keeping the band alive.

Yeah I’ve been seeing you guys from almost the beginning and trust me you guys have go a way far ahead and my jaws were literally open when i heard you guys covered Blood Splattered Satisfaction of Kraanium in Buried Alive at Pokhara and Devourment's cover Baby Killer at Valentine massacre II.
Haha. Thanks man. Yup we have, Baby Killer is our all time favorite song.

Well, to be quite honest I must say that now you guys have a killer lineup.
Yup that's for sure because everyone has their own dedication in band and its music.

Yeah for sure, so guys tell us what are you guys doing nowadays. I am pretty sure rehearsals are going on regularly.
The rehearsal is going on and currently we are working on a demo as I said earlier.

Coming to the demo you guys are going to do a Split album with bands from outside can you say us about it?
Till date we have 5 bands in this 53 split EP. Including us we have Death Omang, Rendel, Otak Meusum and Syuhada from Indonesia.The EP will be out in this November.

Well, I am quite excited about it. By the way Sumit once there was even a talk going with Pilipino Brutal Death Metal Band MARSIA PUGITA are they also going to be featured?
We had a thought about that but it's on pending currently. Hopefully we will do the split with them in near future. Because I really liked that band and I am also in contact with their bassist Mina didi too. But before that we are thinking of our own too. So it may take long but we will come up with something.

We hope to hear some positive response from them soon, Sumit last time when we met you talk about adding a new guitarist and a bassist in the band how is the progress?
I think we won't be adding a new guitarist but we are thinking of adding a bassist. We are searching for a bassist who at least listens to some death metal stuffs and has some knowledge in composing, What I meant is the one who can create some new idea and help us in our new songs. My bad but we haven't got one till now. Haha Hope we will find one soon.


Well we wish for that so Sumit any updates apart from the split?
We are working on our new originals and also we will be doing a new cover song too in coming days, we have already played Baby Killer many times and we are fed up of that song hahaha. We just wanted to try a different song so that we can generate some new ideas. That's it. No new updates rather than that.

Well hoping to get the same intensity in the new tracks. So, Sumit coming beyond Calamitian tell us how your journey in metal begun?
I listened to some rock bands like Bad Company, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, Pink Floyd and many others in my childhood. But I really started listening metal when I was in 8th grade with bands like Pantera, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Cradle of Filth, Cannibal Corpse and Six Feet Under. I was not pretty much conscious about these genre thing. I just listened to those bands just assuming metal. Then I was pretty much interested in songs of Cannibal corpse and Six feet under, I found out about the nepali bands like Ugra Karma, Nastik, Antim Grahan, Cruentus, Vhumi and so on which really got me into this music. I had also started playing guitar at that time. So i used to play songs from Pantera, Iron Maiden and Metallica.I also started learning some songs of Cruentus and Vhumi and that was really awesome. When I got into college I formed a band. We had started practicing too. That band used to play old school kind of music. We had covered song of Six Feet Under at that time and was about to do the originals too. But the band broke up. After that i really got into death metal music. I started exploring new bands and listening to them and I decided to do music again and formed Calamitian. That's how I got into this Metal music.

So any message to the fans?
It would be better if we call them our supporters rather than fans, My message to them would be to keep supporting us and to keep supporting death metal. Attend gigs, buy CDs and merchandise of all the bands thats all. Lastly, we would like to thank them all for their great support. And keep butchering and hammering inside the circle pit. Hahahaha.


 So guys you guys recently toured to other cities beyond Ktm, Pokhara and hetauda how was your experience playing beyond this three cities and what is your message, suggestions to bands from the other cities you guys played.
It would be a pleasure if all the people came to the gig n supported us, But they were just expecting for a free entrance and just came to show off, I am not telling them a posuer but they should have a respect not only for our band but other bands too, It’s really a big deal for organizers there to organize a gig outside these three cities so they have to understand there problem n stop expecting for free tickets
It was a great experience playing beyond them. We would take them as beginners. So they will learn everything after sometime.
Until then, just listen to metal, attend gigs, support local bands and you will build up your scene yourselves.
And for the bands just keep fucking doing what u r doing. Continue the band, just don’t fade away.
It was great experience playing in cities like Dharan, Pokhara, Hetauda is like a world win to me because there are lots of bands in Kathmandu who have never been in those places. I really appreciate and always thankful to brothers of Narsamhaar and Hem Butcher dai for giving chance to tour with them. There are lots of good bands in these cities. I really appreciate their music and contribution on the underground scene. I like to thanks them for giving some sick and brutal music. I just want to say just keep doing what now you are doing.

Any message to the fans
I personally don’t want them to be called as our fans but I want to say is they listen the songs which we play and really appreciate for there support at last I want to say them is stay sick n brutal n keep supporting the underground scene, Thank you.

Thank you guys. Lastly a space for Calamitian to say or ask if we SNRMB team has forgotten to ask. Space all yours.
       Nothing. \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment