Thursday, May 29, 2014

Interview with Suman Khatri From 4 Dead In 5 Seconds



4 Dead In 5 Second i guess i don't have to Speak much about this Band. They played here supporting TEXTURES in Silence Festival III and they are the 1st Australian band to tour Nepal. They are  from Gold Coast Queensland, Australia. They are currently on the process to release there 2nd EP "Bestiary: The Book Of Beasts". We had a short talk with there Bassist Suman Khatri who is the 1st Nepali to tour Nepal with a foreign band. Giving my personal view i say "Suman must say man entire Nepalese in and out of Nepal are proud of you man" . To know much about the band you can go through there band page.
Before we begin we would like to know how are you guys doing nowadays their in Australia.
Started gigging it's going well. The new release is coming out soon. Exciting

Starting out in 2009 how has the journey been so far?
Going well, well I joined the band in 2012 but I am enjoying it anyways.

Back then as far as I know you were here in Nepal and played in local bands here in Nepal. You went Australia for further studies. How did you join 4 Dead In 5 Seconds?
I came here in 2009 January. I put on an advertisement on a website mentioning ''I am guitarist to form a metal'' band and guy name RICK replied me and ask me for a jam. I went to his house, he was a pro guitarist who had his own studio and I was blown away after seeing his playing. I played some lamb of god, as I lay dying etc and stuffs and he was keen to start a band.  We jammed for like 1 month and he even taught me his compositions....we then started to look for a drummer and bassist ,we found them and started jamming was the guitarist of that band it was named “NOT TO FEAR”. We played together for like 3 years and at one point our drummer said” he is going to mines for work "and he wanted to have a break with music. We all decided that it’s alright. We would wait for you and keep moving on our own life. One day I went down to pub to see my friend’s band playing at beer garden and saw 4 dead in 5 seconds. Funny thing "Carrick and I met before in 2010 when I was in that pub” They played a show, the show went awesome. I was sitting on a table and Carrick comes to me saying 'we met before here' and I finally remembered. The other day I got a message saying their bassist quit and they want my help to continue this band. I was not doing anything with my other band and I was a guitarist so it was not sure if I could enjoy playing bass but i said would definitely see and have a jam. This is what I told. Actually Carrick messaged me to join 4 dead after seeing my cover videos on my YouTube channel. I did few metal covers that time and we had a jam and also I kind of liked their genre and the whole band and then I said yes. Well, that’s the story.


Coming to the band name 4 dead In 5 Seconds. What does it mean? I mean how did the name came?
Actually Blake was reading through the magazine or book and he found this title. It’s a true incident that happened in like 1980 in U.S.A. A guy killed 4 people in a farm with his gun. You can read the whole thing if u Google it too.... It’s real story and we got that name from there

Interesting for sure going to go through it, Suman you left Nepal at the time when the scene has just started to get a bit systematic to a country that has quite a healthy metal scene how was your experience can you tell us your 1st Australian gig experience?
When I played a show in Nepal it was kind of rookie what i mean is not that good equipments and unprofessional .I learned a lot over here after joining some international bands like NOT to FEAR and 4 DEAD IN 5 SECONDS.... Of course the sound is always great with good equipment's and i was amazed to see the positive response of the crowd and everyone cheering and supporting the band. Good vibes all around...i see true metal heads over here every gig we play. Not someone who just pretends to be metal head, i get to see good amps and guitar after i got here. Nepal ma amp haru thiyena ramro, aile chai cha Nepal ma pani.


Now coming beyond the band can you tell us about how your journey in music began?
So my story is kind of funny hehe . I never thought that i am going to be in a band, musician. I was so good in studies and one day school ko parents day ma i was in grade 7.... Vice principal announced class 10 ko dai ko name "kuber come on stage to play guitar” he walked in and everyone clapped their hand. I felt like i wish if i could play guitar and be on stage and since then i was kind of like i wanted to learn it and be on stage. After that ghar tira euta uncle hoisinthyo he used to play Nepali pop songs and sing along. He was so good on singing too and i started watching him playing and but didn’t bother to touch guitar. Days went by and i started liking guitar and one day my big brother brought guitar from his friends home and he started learning basic chords and taught me too. From that day i was addicted to learn chords and everything, ani i used to find a way where i can touch guitar and learn. 9 class ma huda i learned basic guitar. Ghar side ma there was a pool house and i used to go there every day just to play guitar and khatra khatra guitarist Dai haru authyo. I used to ask them too tesari nai sikey guitar haru.  Pachi College join garnu agi band form garney plan bhayo. Rock band ma ni bajaye ...NORBU was my idol in Nepal. We started a band together, played few shows together as well. My first concert of my life was M.A.V.A MELA, Sathdobato ma...Mahendra Adarsha ma hunthyo dashain tihar ko bich ma. We used to cover Guns n Roses. Total rock band. So time pass hudai gayo , ek din hamro singer betrayed me, money matter ma so quit the band. Drummer ma ani bassist we decided to form metal punk kind of band. Hami chai milthyom ghar pani sangai sangai thyo. We decided to form a new band,we named it 'IDIOSYNCRASY'. We used to cover system of down and alternative bands. We went to inter-college band competition 2008 . We went as punk band and got 1st runner up and best composition in that competition. We became famous after that...6 months ma we got bit of name fame. After that, mero Australia processing bhairako thyo ani after 6 months ma yeta aye 2009 ma. Still i am in touch with them....Nepal ayera i want to record those songs. Ani music video nikalchau hola. Social message cha song ma. We all are like best friends, so i want to continue one day for sure.....This time we will be kind of heavy and different.

For sure man it will be .Again coming to 4DI5S. It’s the 1st Aussy band to tour Nepal. Along with that I want to add you are the 1st Nepali to tour Nepal as a member of a foreign band and play in the biggest and loudest metal fest in Nepal. Trust me; whole nation is proud of you.
It’s all due to support and loves from you guys. I will let this pride up always wherever i play NEPAL forever.

How was your experience playing in front of home crowd? During your Nepal tour you guys toured Butwal, Pokhara and finally at Silence fest III. As you had played with many of the Nepalese band in old days how was Blake, Carrick, Jayden and Scotty's reaction performing here?
Geordie is our new drummer. That was Scotty. They just got surprised and still it’s our best show we have ever played. In short one of the best experiences in our life and coming back to hometown play a show. It just felt good and I felt like I did it... I am so proud of what I did and what I am doing for future and family too, Living the dream.

For Sure man. Apart from 4DI5S what do you guys do?
We work as well. Everyone is busy making money too as u know we wont make money of music unless we are so big and got some record label contract .But we see each other and have band jam ,talks every week . It’s Part of our work too.

Yeah in 2012 you guys launched your EP 'CURSES' and recently a few months back you guys went to Tilburg Netherlands to record your upcoming EP BESTIARY"THE BOOK OF BEAST" tell us about this upcoming EP.
In 2012 we just released single "reanimate". Curses was released in 2011 i think the new EP will be of total heaviness and different for you all this time. We went with more variation this time as compared to last releases clean section, guitar solos and breakdowns. Its perfect match this time .You will feel it yourself how awesome it is when u hear this new songs.

Talking about Reanimate this is 4DI5S hit num here in Nepal. As far as i know your upcoming EP is produced by Bart Hennephof from Texture at his studio. Can you say about the possibility of when it’s going to launch?
Maybe End of May. If not, June for sure. We are releasing a lyric video of new song first before whole EP. That new song will blow u up first and then EP will be out.

We hope for that. Almost at the end any message to fans?
We will love to come to Nepal soon hopefully mid next year we will see u all again, stay heavy stay brutal, keep supporting , sharing and respect music ..Thanks for all the love and support you guys are giving to us. It encourages us to write and play music more everyday.

Lastly a space for you if we SNRMB team have forgotten to ask. You can ask us here?
That should be all

Thank you!! Suman.
No worries yaar


No comments:

Post a Comment